Get ready for a holiday season filled with enchantment and wonder with our free Elf on the Shelf rules printable!
The magic of the Elf on the Shelf tradition comes to life through these essential guidelines.
But the Elf on the Shelf isn’t just about rules; it’s about creating magical moments for your family.
Beyond the rules, you’ll discover a world of fun Elf on the Shelf activities that will bring joy and excitement to your home throughout the month of December.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
What is the Elf on the Shelf?
The Elf on the Shelf is a super fun Christmas tradition that adds a magical touch to the holiday season.
It all begins when a special scout elf arrives at your home on December 1st. This little elf comes directly from the North Pole and works for Santa Claus, helping Santa get ready for the big day.
But there’s a twist! The Elf on the Shelf isn’t just a watchful elf. It’s also a mischievous one.
Every night, when everyone’s asleep, the elf goes on adventures.
It can pop up in different places around your home and get up to all kinds of fun and funny things. It’s like a game of hide and seek, and it’s up to you to find the elf’s new hiding spot every morning.
What are the Elf on the Shelf rules?
Our Elf on the Shelf rules printable helps make sure the elf’s magic stays strong. These rules are super simple and important:
- Be Gentle: The first rule is a crucial one. Children are kindly reminded not to touch the elf. This is because the elf’s power to report to Santa hinges on staying still and unnoticed during the day.
- I Listen: The Elf on the Shelf isn’t just a silent observer; it’s an excellent listener. Kids are encouraged to share their wishes and acts of kindness with the elf.
- Let’s Choose Together: If children wish to suggest new spots for the elf’s daily adventures, they can write a note. This collaborative approach ensures that everyone is involved in creating the Christmas magic.
- Be Super Kind: Lastly, children are encouraged to exhibit good behavior and perform acts of kindness, as the elf reports this to Santa. The promise of sharing their kindness with the North Pole adds an extra incentive for children to be their best selves during the Christmas season.
Discover your new holiday name with this fun Christmas elf name generator printable!
What happens if the rules are broken?
If the rules of the Elf on the Shelf are broken, it’s important to remember that the elf’s magic may be affected.
The consequences can vary depending on how the rules were broken and the family’s approach to the tradition. Here are some common ways that families handle rule violations:
- In some households, it’s explained to children that if the elf is touched or moved, it may lose its magical powers. This means it won’t be able to fly to the North Pole and report to Santa.
- Breaking the rules might result in the elf not being able to create surprise scenarios or adventures for a day or two. This can be disappointing for children who look forward to finding the elf’s new hiding spot each morning.
- Parents and teachers may take the opportunity to talk with their children about why it’s important to follow the rules. It’s a chance to teach responsibility and the importance of respecting traditions and the magic of Christmas.
- Many families use rule violations as teaching moments and offer the chance for children to make amends. Kids can show their commitment to following the rules to restore the elf’s magic.
It’s important to strike a balance between enforcing the rules and ensuring that the holiday tradition remains fun and enjoyable for children.
The focus should be on creating a positive and magical experience during the holiday season.
Elf printable rules
There are 2 copies of the elf rules that can be printed out, just choose which you prefer. They are free for personal use and classroom use only. Scroll to the bottom of the page to access the pdf download.
For added durability and a festive touch, we recommend printing these rules on white cardstock.
But if the kids plan to pass them around and read them together, laminating is a great idea. We have been using this laminator for a few years and it is still going strong.
This way, you can cherish these cherished rules for many holiday seasons to come. Make your Elf on the Shelf adventure even more special with these printable rules.
Where to display the elf rules
To display the Elf on the Shelf rules printable, consider placing it in a visible and accessible location within your home, or classroom. Preferably near where the Elf on the Shelf typically makes its appearances. Here are some suggestions:
- You can place the printable next to the Elf on the Shelf itself. This way, children can see the rules whenever they interact with their magical friend.
- Use a magnet to attach the printable to the refrigerator door, a common household location where everyone can see it.
- If your children have a special area or room where they often find the elf, consider posting the rules there. This serves as a reminder when they encounter the elf each day.
- Place the printable in a decorative frame to make it more appealing and part of your holiday decor. It can then be displayed on a tabletop or shelf.
- Place the rules next to the Christmas tree to ensure that everyone, especially the young children, can easily see them.
- If you have a family bulletin board or message center. You can pin the rules to it so that they’re easily seen and can be referred to throughout the holiday season.
Additional Elf on the Shelf letters and notes
Make your Elf on the Shelf adventure even more enchanting with these additional free Elf on the Shelf printables. These Elf on the Shelf ideas add a delightful touch to your fun family tradition, creating lasting memories for your family.
Welcome Santa’s little helper in style with a special Elf on the Shelf arrival letter printable. This letter can be personalized with your child’s name and sets the stage for the magical journey that lies ahead. It’s the perfect way to introduce the Elf’s arrival to your little ones.
Sometimes, even magical creatures like the Elf on the Shelf can run into delays. If your elf arrives late, this free printable Elf on the Shelf sorry I’m late letter helps explain the delay to your children in a lighthearted and fun way, ensuring they’re not disappointed.
Keep the excitement going by using these free printable Elf on the Shelf notes from your scout elf. These printable notes can provide clues or hints for special activities, encourage acts of kindness, or simply share in the daily fun. They add an element of surprise to each day, as kids eagerly look for the elf’s notes.
When it’s time for your elf to return to the North Pole on Christmas Eve. Use the Elf on the Shelf goodbye letter printable to create a memorable farewell. It’s a great way to remind kids that the elf will be back next year.
Enhance the holiday spirit with our Elf report card printable, a perfect addition to your festive celebrations!
An Elf adoption certificate adds a personal touch to the magical moment when children welcome their favorite elf into the family.
WANT ALL OUR ELF ACTIVITIES IN ONE PLACE?
Tips for downloading the free files
Below you will see a large sign-up box where you need to add your name and email address, and press I NEED THIS NOW!
Within minutes you will be sent the free PDF directly to your email address, so you can print it out and start using it immediately.
Sometimes emails get a little wonky, so if you can’t see it, please check your spam folder where I am sure it is hiding.
Download the free Elf rules printables
Last Updated on 25 November 2023 by homeschoolof1