The Elf on the Shelf activities are nearly over with them about to leave to help Santa with his Christmas deliveries! But how do you tell kids? We’ve got the perfect way – the elf goodbye letter free printable.
We have created 2 different templates for you to print out and leave for the kids to find on Christmas Eve.
We understand that saying goodbye to your mischievous elf can be a heartfelt moment for both parents and children alike. So, these carefully crafted farewell letters aim to make this transition a little sweeter. Ensuring that the magic of the holiday season continues to resonate in your home.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Printable Elf Goodbye Letter
When the elves arrive they leave an Elf on the Shelf arrival letter explaining their visit, so it makes perfect sense to have an Elf on the Shelf departure letter when they leave.
These elf departure letters are for personal use or classroom use only. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the instant download.
I have included 2 Elf on the Shelf goodbye letters, including one letter from multiple elves. But they have the same message on:
Thank you so much for letting me stay with you this year.
Unfortunately, it is time for me to leave, but I have had so much fun.
I can’t wait to see you again next year, and I know you will be really good until then.
Love, Your Elf
This Elf on the Shelf Christmas Eve letter can be used if like us you have multiple elves. I absolutely love the little P.S. on them that reads:
P.S. We put a big red X sticker on your roof so we can easily find you next year.
Check out all of our Elf on the Shelf leaving ideas
If these free Elf on the Shelf printables are not quite what you are looking for, this personalized letter from Etsy is super cute.
You will receive all five of these elf goodbye letters so choose which one you prefer. I highly recommend you print them on white card stock as it’ll just look better.
When does the elf leave the goodbye letter?
It’s important to create a memorable and magical experience for the children when the elves head back to the North Pole. Here are a few more ideas and tips to consider when deciding when the elf should leave the goodbye letter:
- Some families like to establish a special “Farewell Day” for their elf. Usually on Christmas Eve morning, the elf will leave a heartfelt note alongside a plate of cookies, candy canes, or a small gift for each child. This allows the children to say their goodbyes and feel the Christmas magic.
- Another popular tradition is to have the elf depart on Christmas Eve night. The elf can leave a heartfelt letter before their final trip. Expressing how they’ve enjoyed their time in the house and how much they’ll miss the children. This creates a sense of anticipation and excitement for Christmas Day.
- Some families prefer to have the sweet elf leave the letter with the Christmas stocking on Christmas morning. This can be a fun way to start the day, as the children find the letter along with small treats or Christmas gifts in their stockings.
- You can enhance the experience by having the elf “deliver” the good bye letter in a unique way. Perhaps the elf leaves a trail of tiny footprints leading to the letter or uses a hot air balloon to transport the note.
- Even though the elf is departing, remind the children that the magic of Christmas and the spirit of kindness and goodwill are still very much present. Encourage them to carry the lessons they’ve learned from their elf friend into the new year.
- Let the children know that the cute elf will return next year, and perhaps even drop hints about what exciting adventures and surprises they might bring in the future. This can build anticipation for the next holiday season.
Check out the best Elf on the Shelf gifts
Additional free printable Elf on the Shelf ideas
- Delve into the educational side of the season with our Christmas tree life cycle worksheet. It’s not only a fun activity for the kids but also a great opportunity to learn about the life stages of a Christmas tree, from sapling to beautifully decorated centerpiece.
- Have some laughs and spark creativity with our Christmas elf name generator printable. Your little ones can discover their unique elf names, adding an extra layer of fun to their Elf on the Shelf adventures.
- Get ready for Santa’s arrival with our Reindeer food printable. This delightful tradition allows your children to create a special treat to leave out for Santa’s loyal reindeer. It’s a thoughtful way to show appreciation for these magical creatures and ensure a smooth journey for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve.
- Have fun on the last day with the scout elves as the kids have to do an Elf on the Shelf scavenger hunt to find where the elf is hiding.
WANT ALL OUR ELF ACTIVITIES IN ONE PLACE?
Tips for downloading the free files
Below you will see a large sign-up box where you need to add your name and email address, and press I NEED THIS NOW!
Within minutes you will be sent the free PDF directly to your email address, so you can print it out and start using it immediately.
Sometimes emails get a little wonky, so if you can’t see it, please check your spam folder where I am sure it is hiding.
Download the free printable goodbye letter from the Elf on the Shelf
You will also enjoy our free tooth fairy letter printables and certificates.
Last Updated on 25 November 2023 by homeschoolof1