Learn all about one of the ancient world’s most captivating wonders with this free Hanging Gardens of Babylon worksheet.
With this free geography worksheet, you will embark on a journey to explore the legendary Hanging Gardens of Babylon. These remarkable gardens, located in ancient Mesopotamia (present-day Iraq), are known for their lush greenery and innovative irrigation systems.
Through this worksheet, you will uncover fascinating facts about the history, design, and cultural significance of the Hanging Gardens. From their towering terraces to the engineering marvels that allowed plants to flourish in the desert, each aspect of this wonder of the ancient world showcases the advanced knowledge and creativity of the Babylonian civilization.
Whether you are studying ancient Mesopotamia or simply captivated by extraordinary architectural feats, this Hanging Gardens of Babylon worksheet is a valuable educational resource. It combines geography, history, and cultural exploration to ignite your curiosity and expand your knowledge of this awe-inspiring wonder of the ancient world.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Where Were the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World? (Where Is?)Wonders of the World (DK Eyewitness)Where Is the Great Wall?Where Is Chichen Itza?How the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World Were Built (How the Wonders Were Built)Eyewitness Wonders of the World: Take an Incredible Journey Around the World’s Most Awesome Sights?from the Pyram (DK Eyewitness)
Interesting Hanging Gardens of Babylon facts for kids
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. They were built in the ancient city of Babylon, which is now part of modern-day Iraq.
- The gardens were built by King Nebuchadnezzar II for his wife, Queen Amytis, who missed the beautiful green mountains of her homeland.
- Contrary to what the name suggests, the gardens were not actually “hanging” in the air. They were terraced gardens built on top of a huge structure to resemble mountain slopes.
- The gardens were designed to have beautiful cascading plants, trees, and flowers. They had water channels and irrigation systems that kept the gardens lush and green.
- The gardens were so magnificent that they were believed to have been seen from miles away, giving the illusion that they were floating in the air.
- The gardens were not only a stunning sight but also served a practical purpose. They helped keep the city cool by providing shade and reducing the heat.
- It is believed that the gardens were destroyed by an earthquake in the 2nd century BCE. Today, archaeologists are still trying to discover the exact location and remains of the gardens.
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon have inspired many stories, including the legend of the Tower of Babel. According to the legend, the gardens were part of King Nebuchadnezzar’s grand palace complex, which included the famous tower.
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon have influenced garden designs throughout history, and even today, the idea of a beautiful, elevated garden is still captivating.
- Although the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are no longer standing, they continue to capture our imagination as a symbol of beauty, innovation, and the power of nature.
Continue learning with our free Continent of Asia worksheets.
Hanging Gardens of Babylon Research
Welcome to the fascinating world of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!
Get ready to embark on a colorful journey through time and uncover the secrets of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
As you grab your coloring pencils, let’s dive into the history of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and discover the answers to some intriguing questions.
These are the questions the kids will need to answer on the Hanging Gardens of Babylon worksheet:
Where was the Hanging Gardens of Babylon located?
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were located in the ancient city of Babylon, which is now part of modern-day Iraq.
When was the Hanging Gardens of Babylon built?
The exact date of when the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were built is uncertain. It is believed to have been constructed around the 6th century BCE, during the reign of King Nebuchadnezzar II.
What materials were used in making the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
The materials used in making the Hanging Gardens of Babylon included stone, bricks, and timber. The terraces were supported by a complex system of arches and columns.
Who built the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were built by King Nebuchadnezzar II, the ruler of the Neo-Babylonian Empire, as a gift to his wife, Queen Amytis.
The queen missed the green mountains of her homeland, and the gardens were constructed to replicate that beauty.
Why was the Hanging Gardens of Babylon built?
The primary reason for building the Hanging Gardens of Babylon was to please Queen Amytis and provide her with a sense of home and comfort.
The gardens were meant to be a breathtaking and extravagant display of beauty and luxury, showcasing the power and wealth of the Babylonian empire.
Please note that some details about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are uncertain due to the lack of extensive archaeological evidence, and historical accounts may vary.
Atlas of Adventures: World Wonders (WIDE EYED EDITI)National Geographic Student World Atlas, 6th EditionThe World Game – Geography Card Game – Educational Board Game for Kids, Family & Adults – Cool Learning Gift Idea for Teenage Boys & Girls100 PICS Flags of The World Travel Game – Learn 100 Country Flags | Flash Cards with Slide Reveal Case | Geography Card Game, Gift, Stocking Stuffer | for Kids and Adults | Ages 6+
What happened to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
The fate of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon remains a mystery. There are different theories regarding what happened to them:
- One theory suggests that the gardens were destroyed by an earthquake that occurred in the 2nd century BCE. The earthquake is believed to have caused significant damage to the structures, leading to the eventual demise of the gardens.
- Over time, the gardens may have suffered from neglect and gradual erosion. Without proper maintenance, the structures and the lush greenery may have deteriorated, resulting in their eventual disappearance.
- It is important to note that while the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are mentioned in various ancient texts and historical accounts, no physical remains of the gardens have been conclusively discovered. Some historians propose that the gardens may have been exaggerated or misinterpreted in ancient writings.
Due to the lack of concrete archaeological evidence, the exact fate and current state of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are unknown. Nevertheless, the gardens continue to captivate the imagination and remain a symbol of beauty and wonder from the ancient world.
WANT ALL OF THE WONDERS OF THE WORLD IN ONE PLACE?
Tips for downloading the free files
Below is a blue cloud with an arrow pointing downward. Underneath that is a large sign-up box where you need to add your name and email address, and press I NEED THIS NOW!
Within minutes you will be sent the free PDF directly to your email address, so you can print it out and start using it immediately.
Sometimes emails get a little wonky, so if you can’t see it, please check your spam folder where I am sure it is hiding.
Download the free Hanging Gardens of Babylon Worksheet
If you are learning all about the wonders of the world you can download all 14 worksheets. With the new and ancient wonders of the world worksheets for a small fee.
These worksheets are free to print but are for personal or classroom use only.
Last Updated on 2 October 2023 by homeschoolof1