Let’s celebrate Juneteenth this year, with our free Juneteenth coloring pages.
Juneteenth is a celebration held on June 19th and commemorates the emancipation of enslaved people in the US.
These free color by number printable worksheets are a great way to start the conversation with younger kids about the importance of Juneteenth.
Included are 6 free Juneteenth summer color by number worksheets that are a great way to talk to kids about this historic day.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
What is Juneteenth?
Juneteenth is a holiday celebrated on the 19th of June to commemorate the emancipation of enslaved people in the US.
The holiday was first celebrated in Texas in 1980. Where on that date in 1865, in the aftermath of the Civil War, slaves were declared free under the terms of the 1862 Emancipation Proclamation.
But only in 2021 was Juneteenth declared a US National holiday.
Facts about Juneteenth for Kids
Here are some interesting facts about Juneteenth that kids may find interesting:
- Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the end of slavery in the United States.
- The name “Juneteenth” comes from the date the celebration takes place – June 19th.
- Juneteenth is also known as “Freedom Day” or “Emancipation Day.”
- Texas was the last state to receive news of the Emancipation Proclamation. Which declared the end of slavery in the Confederate states during the Civil War. General Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, to announce that all enslaved people were to be freed.
- The first Juneteenth celebration took place in Texas in 1866, and it has been celebrated annually ever since.
- Juneteenth became an official state holiday in Texas in 1980.
- President Joe Biden signed the legislation that made Juneteenth a federal holiday in June 2021.
- The Juneteenth flag, designed by Ben Haith in 1997, features a red, white, and blue color scheme and a star in the middle. The bursting “new star,” on the “horizon,” symbolizes the emergence of a new era of freedom and opportunity.
- Juneteenth is a time to celebrate the progress that has been made toward equality and justice for African Americans. As well as to reflect on the ongoing struggles for freedom and equality in the United States.
- Juneteenth is a day to celebrate African American history, culture, and achievements. And to honor the resilience and perseverance of African Americans in the face of systemic oppression and discrimination.
Juneteenth Color by Number
There are 6 pages included in these free Juneteenth coloring pages.
These free Juneteenth worksheets are free to print but are for personal use or classroom use only. Scroll to the end of the post to get the pdf file.
You will need 5 different coloring pens or crayons to complete this activity.
I highly recommend these dual tipped pens that we use. There are 72 different color pens included and a carry case to keep them all together.
Raise hands for Juneteenth color by number page.
Breaking chains is a symbolic representation of the end of slavery and the liberation of enslaved people.
Juneteenth coloring page with broken chains.
1865 is the year that marks the anniversary of the announcement of General Order No. 3 by Union Army General Gordon Granger. Proclaiming freedom for enslaved people in Texas.
Adding books about Juneteenth to your reading collection is a wonderful way to expand your knowledge and celebrate this significant holiday. These kids’ books provide diverse perspectives, engaging narratives, and educational resources that delve into the rich history and significance of Juneteenth.
- Juneteenth: Our Day of Freedom (Step into Reading)
- The History of Juneteenth
- Juneteenth for Mazie
- What Is Juneteenth? (What Was?)
- The Juneteenth Story: Celebrating the End of Slavery in the United States
- Opal Lee and What It Means to Be Free: The True Story of the Grandmother of Juneteenth
- All Different Now: Juneteenth, the First Day of Freedom
- The Story of Juneteenth: An Interactive History Adventure (You Choose: History)
Free Juneteenth printables
Although these are not all solely related to Juneteenth these free printables are great to add on this special day:
- Juneteenth word scramble
- Black inventors coloring pages
- Black history month activities
- Martin Luther King Jr kids resources
- Martin Luther King Jr word search
Free Printable Juneteenth Coloring Pages
Last Updated on 14 July 2023 by homeschoolof1