As we are heading towards Groundhog Day I wanted to learn a little more about the groundhog. These free life cycle of a groundhog worksheets are a great way to learn while having fun.
In these 8-page life cycle worksheets all about the groundhog, you will find a life cycle of a groundhog, an information report, opinion writing, groundhog research, and fun groundhog crafts. These are perfect for 2nd – 4th-grade students. But can be adapted for younger or older students.
This is a no-preparation download, so if you have left it until the last minute (like I normally do!) this will be perfect for the kids at home or school.
We love creating free homeschool printables and have well over 200, but this life cycle of a groundhog worksheet is one of my new favorites.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Groundhog Life Cycle Worksheets
The kids are going to love learning all about the groundhog with our free groundhog life cycle worksheets. You are going to love them too, especially as you already have all of the supplies needed.
- cardstock (printer paper will also work)
- coloring pens
- paper cutter or scissors
- brass fasteners
What’s included in the download?
Print out the groundhog worksheets below, they will print out on 9 full pages. Make sure to check the printer settings.
- Research groundhog information plus find 8 interesting facts about them.
- Opinion writing.
- Groundhog fact sheet, use the internet and books to learn more about them.
- Research the 4 main stages of the groundhog’s life.
- Color and label the parts of a groundhog.
- Color and label the different cycles of the groundhog.
- Groundhog foldable craft, color, cut, stick, and fold the 4 main life stages.
- Groundhog life cycle spinning wheel craft.
The first worksheet is a planning sheet where the children have to find out about groundhogs. What their appearance is, their habitat and diet, movement, and any interesting facts.
- The groundhog is related to the squirrel
- They predict the weather on Groundhog Day (Feb 2nd)
- They are also called woodchucks, whistle-pigs, and land-beavers.
- They are skilled climbers and swimmers
- Groundhogs whistle at potential mates
- The Groundhog mainly eats grass, herbs, and plants. But also eats carrots, and corn, which is why farmers consider them to be pests.
- Their underground burrows include different rooms, including a bedroom and even a bathroom.
- They hibernate from late fall to late winter or early spring, which can mean up to as many as six months of solid sleep.
I love this opinion writing worksheet. Which do you like better a reindeer or a groundhog?
The children will need access to the internet to complete the information about groundhogs. They need to find:
- In what countries can you find groundhogs in their natural habitat?
- How long do groundhogs live? In the wild, and in captivity
- How many babies do they typically have?
- The type of birth, is it egg or live?
- What food do groundhogs eat? How do they get their food?
- What is the population of groundhog? What is their biggest threat?
The next two pages involve labeling and coloring the groundhog.
Label the parts of a groundhog, whiskers, teeth, ears, claws, tail, and body. Then color in the groundhog.
On the next page the children have to color the different stages of the groundhog’s life, and then label which is which.
Scroll to the bottom of the page to grab all 8 free life cycle of a groundhog worksheets.
Groundhog Life Cycle Crafts
The first page is a fun groundhog craft that involves coloring, folding, cutting, and gluing.
I recommend coloring the images in first, but if you are working with much younger children then you might want to cut them in advance.
Cut up the groundhog craft, younger children may need some help.
Sort the images into the correct order and glue them under the groundhog burrow. When you have glued the pictures you need to fold along the dotted lines.
The next groundhog craft is the life cycle of a groundhog spinner wheel.
Cut out the two circles, and make sure on the groundhog life cycle image you cut out the blank quarter.
Place the groundhog life cycle image with the quarter cut out on top of the other image and add a brass fastener to the middle.
When you have finished with these why not download our free reindeer handprint craft too?
The kids are going to love these groundhog books too:
Download Life Cycle of Groundhog Worksheets
If you are running short on time you can download ALL of our 19 life cycles for a small fee here. There are 158 pages over 19 different life cycles, including this one.
I think you will also enjoy:
- The life cycle of a goose worksheets
- Free life cycle of a honey bee worksheets
- The life cycle of a butterfly worksheets
- Life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Life cycle of a hedgehog printables
- Free science worksheets
- Free winter scattergories
- Free life cycle of a reindeer worksheets
- Free life cycle of a rabbit worksheets
Last Updated on 16 January 2023 by homeschoolof1