If you are learning about the continent of South America with the kids you are going to love our free South America worksheets.
With this free printable geography worksheet, you will learn all about the continent of South America. Including the top 10 biggest countries, the top 10 most spoken languages, and much more.
Included in the South America worksheets are the following:
- 2 x map labeling,
- a South America fact sheet,
- matching the flag,
- learning to say hello in 10 South American languages,
- South America word search,
- South America country word scramble.
I have also included answer sheets for all of the worksheets. These are aimed at kids in upper elementary and middle school but can be used with any age group.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Fun facts about South America for kids
Fun and interesting facts about South America that kids might enjoy:
- The llama, alpaca, and vicuña are all domesticated animals that are native to South America.
- The Galapagos Islands, located off the coast of Ecuador, inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.
- The world’s largest rodent, the capybara, can be found in South America.
- The largest carnival celebration in the world is held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The famous Inca ruins of Machu Picchu are located in Peru and were built in the 15th century.
- South America is home to the world’s largest freshwater fish, the arapaima, which can grow up to 10 feet long.
- The Atacama is the driest place on earth, other than the poles. It receives less than 1 mm of rain each year, and some areas haven’t seen a drop of rain in more than 500 years.
- South America is the only continent where you can find wild llamas and alpacas.
- The Andes Mountains, run through seven South American countries and is the longest mountain range in the world.
- South America is home to the largest variety of birds and butterflies in the world.
South America map worksheet
There are only 12 different countries in South America.
There are 2 different maps of the continent of South America. One with the countries on the side to make it a little easier, and one with no country names.
There are 2 other countries located in South America that are not included in the 12. The Falkland Islands is a British territory and French Guiana is a French territory.
The students can either color in the different countries or add the names to the correct country.
South America Fact Sheet
There are 10 questions about the continent of South America. Plus the top 10 countries by population, by land area, and the top 10 cities by population in South America.
- How many countries are in South America? 12
- How big is the continent of South America? 6.888 million mi²
- What is the total population of South America? 422.5 million
- What is the tallest mountain in South America? Where is it? Aconcagua, Argentina
- What is the lowest point in South America? Where is it? Laguna del Carbón, Argentina
- What oceans are in South America? Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
- What is the biggest river in South America? Where is it? Amazon River
- What is the most famous landmark in South America? Machu Picchu, Peru
- What is the smallest country in South America? Suriname
- What is the largest desert in South America? Atacama Desert, Chile.
Top 10 Countries by Population in South America
Top 10 countries in South America by land area
Top 10 cities in South America by population
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Lima, Peru
- Bogotá, Columbia
- Santiago, Chile
- Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Caracas, Venezuela
- Porto Alegre, Brazil
- Brasília, Brazil
For even more fun learning about the world I highly recommend the World card game.
Learn to say hello in 10 South American languages
There are 10 ways to say hello in 10 different languages, and the children need to label the correct greeting with the correct language.
Hello in South American languages:
- Kamisaki – Aymara
- Hallo – German
- Hello – English
- Hola – Spanish
- Mari Mari – Mapudungun
- Mba’éichapa – Guarani
- Allianchu – Quechua
- Ciao – Italian
- Mrhban – Arabic
- Olá – Portuguese
Match the Flag Worksheet
This fun match the flag worksheet is a lot of fun. The children need to research what colors to color in the maps of 12 South American countries.
When they have colored them in correctly, they need to add a line to the correct country.
The country flags included are:
You will also enjoy the 100 pics card game. Can you identify the countries from the flag?
South America Word Search
The South American countries can be found, horizontally, vertically, diagonally, frontwards, or backward! Just to make it that much more difficult.
I have also added the word search answers, as some of the words are a little tricky to find!
Tip: I recommend either using a highlighter pen or circling around the letters. Do not cross the letters out if you have found a word, as it may be used in another word!
The 17 South American countries and cities to find are:
Free word search printables are an excellent school activity for when the kids just need a break. They are educational, but more importantly, they are fun.
South America Word Scramble
There are no clues in our free word scramble, other than the 12 countries are all in the continent of South America.
The 12 South American countries to find are: (I have included an answer sheet with the download.)
This free word scramble printable is great either for the classroom, the library, or homeschooling.
Books about South America for kids
These are the best geography books for kids:
- Aztec, Inca, and Maya
- Where Is Machu Picchu?
- Ada’s Violin: The Story of the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay
- Waiting for the Biblioburro
- Love and Roast Chicken: A Trickster Tale from the Andes Mountains
WANT ALL OF THE CONTINENTS WORKSHEETS NOW?
Other free South American geography printables
These free South American geography printables and the Cinco de Mayo resource offer engaging opportunities for students to explore the diverse cultures, history, and landmarks of South America and Mexico.
- Christ the Redeemer worksheet: Dive into the fascinating world of Brazil with this worksheet focusing on Christ the Redeemer. Learn about the history, significance, and impressive design of this iconic statue overlooking Rio de Janeiro.
- Machu Picchu worksheet: Explore the ancient Incan city of Machu Picchu in Peru through this worksheet. Discover its historical importance, architectural marvels, and the mysteries surrounding its abandonment.
- Chichen Itza worksheet: Journey to Mexico with this worksheet dedicated to Chichen Itza, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Learn about its Maya heritage, architectural features, and its role as a cultural treasure.
- Cinco de Mayo printables: Although not a geographical resource, Cinco de Mayo printables can introduce students to Mexican culture and history.
- Learn all about Christmas traditions with our free Christmas in Mexico worksheets.
Tips for downloading the free files
Below you will see a large sign-up box where you need to add your name and email address, and press I NEED THIS NOW!
Within minutes you will be sent the free PDF directly to your email address, so you can print it out and start using it immediately.
Sometimes emails get a little wonky, so if you can’t see it, please check your spam folder where I am sure it is hiding.
Download the free printable South America worksheets
This printable South American worksheet is free to print but is for personal or classroom use only. Scroll to the bottom of the page to get the pdf file.
Last Updated on 10 January 2024 by homeschoolof1