My son loves to read, I mean really loves to read. So I wanted to share with you his absolute best books for 13 year old boys that he can’t put down.
He is a self-confessed geek and loves all things Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Marvel. So a lot of these kids’ books fall into this category. But that’s ok, he is still reading.
Check out our favorite book lists for kids with over 20 book lists included. For kids of all ages, for school, for reading, and for every season. Plus lots of free book printables.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Best books to read for a 13 year old boy
The absolute best books for a 13-year-old boy according to Freddie are the Harry Potter series. He only started reading these last year and is still going through them now.
What I love about this is not only do I get him to write a middle school book report template and then we watch the movie. He needs to use a compare and contrast movie and book template to write about the differences. But if you don’t homeschool, or have a reluctant reader I would advise against doing this!
Not all of these books are reading books, and some of them are even considered educational! (I know shock horror.) But I promise you these books are absolutely perfect for 13 year old boys, and they will be begging you for more.
- Best Nerds Forever by James Patterson
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K.Rowling
- The Wizenard Series: Training Camp created with Kobe Bryant
- The Outsiders
- The Untouchables by Gordon Korman
- Steve Jobs: Insanely Great
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- I Have a Bad Feeling About This
- The Final Four
- Greyson Gray: Camp Legend
- Boy21 by Matthew Quick
Check out the best books for 12 year old boys too.
Best book series for 13 year old boys
- Harry Potter
- The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings
- Star Wars Shakespeare there are 9 books in total, and so far we have only 6, but they are absolutely awesome. (We have been studying the Bard for the last year, see our top tips on introducing Shakespeare the fun way.) You are also going to love our 10 favorite Shakespeare books for kids this one though of course is his number one pick.
- Trials of Apollo, by Rick Riordan
- Theodore Boone by John Grisham
- I Funny a Middle School Story by James Patterson are definitely aimed at slightly younger children, but he loves them.
- Alex Rider by Anthony Horowitz
- The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
- The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
The kids will enjoy the best Halloween books for middle schoolers.
Best Star Wars books
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Sith
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars Thrawn Ascendancy
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- Dooku: Jedi Lost
- Star Wars: Secrets of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Year By Year
Check out the best books for 13 year old girls too!
Best Marvel & DC Books
- The DC Book: A Vast and Vibrant Multiverse Simply Explained
- Marvel Greatest Comics: 100 Comics that Built a Universe
- The Marvel Book: Expand Your Knowledge Of A Vast Comics Universe
- Marvel Encyclopedia
- The DC Comics Encyclopedia
- Superman: Dawnbreaker
- The Comic Garage Super Box. This is the best monthly children’s book subscription box and comes monthly with 10 different comics. You can choose your favorite characters or let it be random. We have been ordering these for over 6 months and my son loves them. So much so we had to buy comic covers to protect them!
Best Self Help books for teen boys
- What color is your parachute? This is a great career exploration book, check out our free worksheets and printables to help your teen think about the next steps.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey.
- Life Skills for Teens. Learn how to cook, clean, manage money, fix your car, perform first aid, and everything in between.
- How to Survive Anything. shark attacks, lightning, embarrassing parents, pop quizzes, and other perilous situations.
- The DBT Skills Workbook for Teens. A fun guide to managing anxiety and stress. Understand your emotions and learn effective communication skills.
- 52 Modern Manners For Today’s Teens
Some of the books in this list will also be suitable for younger children, but they will be enjoyed by teenagers too. I have previously shared our top 100 best books for 9 year old boys too, so if you have younger children check this out.
Last Updated on 18 November 2023 by homeschoolof1