Printable Martin Luther King Jr facts offers a unique and educational way for kids to learn about an iconic figure in American history.
Dive into history with our engaging and educational two-page fact sheet about Martin Luther King Jr., designed specifically for kids.
This printable not only offers a fun coloring activity but also imparts valuable knowledge about one of the most influential figures in American history.
The fact sheet is packed with fascinating details about King’s life and achievements, making it a perfect tool for both learning and creativity.
Looking for engaging holiday activities for kids this January? If so you are going to love this coloring fact sheet.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Interesting Martin Luther King Jr Facts for Kids
Have fun learning all about the late great Martin Luther King Jr with these interesting facts:
Martin Luther King Jr. was so bright that he skipped two grades in high school and entered college at just 15 years old.
His famous “I Have a Dream” speech, delivered in 1963, is one of the most famous speeches in American history. Focusing on his dream of a world where people are judged by their character, not their skin color.
At age 35, King was the youngest man at the time to receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. Honored for his work in civil rights and peace.
King was arrested nearly 30 times. One of his arrests led to the famous “Letter from Birmingham Jail,” where he wrote about justice and equality.
King was married to Coretta Scott King and had four children, continuing his legacy of love, peace, and equality.
His birthday, January 15th, is celebrated as a national holiday in the United States, honoring his life and contributions to the world.
There are over 900 streets named after Martin Luther King Jr. in the United States. As well as numerous others around the world. This reflects his global impact and the widespread recognition of his contributions to civil rights and equality.
In 1986, Stevie Wonder released the song “Happy Birthday” to honor King and support the campaign to make his birthday a national holiday.
WANT ALL OF OUR BLACK HISTORY MONTH WORKSHEETS IN ONE PLACE?
Additional facts about MLK
- Unique Middle Name. Originally born as Michael King Jr., his father changed both their names to Martin Luther. In honor of the German Protestant leader Martin Luther.
- A Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Martin Luther King Jr. was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for his contributions to television. Thanks to his many televised speeches.
- A Voice on the Telephone. In 1957, King’s speeches were recorded and sold as albums. Making him one of the first people to use this method to spread his message.
- A Man of Peace in Times of War. Despite facing constant threats to his life, King always preached and practiced nonviolence, influencing many other social movements worldwide.
- A Beloved Community Visionary. King’s concept of the “Beloved Community” was a global vision in which all people share in the wealth of the earth. Disputes are resolved peacefully, and love and trust triumph over fear and hatred.
- A Distinctive Speaking Style. Known for his distinctive and powerful voice, King’s speaking style was influenced by the black church tradition and the rhetorical styles of preachers.
- Inspiring a Dance. In 1968, singer James Brown released the song “Say It Loud – I’m Black and I’m Proud.” Partially inspired by King’s teachings and the civil rights movement.
- A Proponent of Economic Equality. Besides racial equality, King strongly advocated for economic justice and the eradication of poverty. Believing that economic rights were an essential part of civil rights.
- The King Center. After his assassination, Coretta Scott King established The King Center in Atlanta. Dedicated to preserving his legacy and teaching his principles of nonviolence.
Books to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr for kids
Dr. King believed in equality, love, and peace, and he worked tirelessly to make these dreams a reality for everyone.
Through these books, you’ll learn about his inspiring journey. His powerful speeches, and how he led a movement that transformed history. Get ready to be inspired by a true hero!
The Story of Martin Luther King Jr. is a children’s book that offers a gentle introduction to the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. It is designed for young readers. Featuring simple language and colorful illustrations to engage children in learning about this influential civil rights leader. The book serves as an excellent resource for parents and educators to introduce the concepts of equality and justice to kids.
I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World. This book includes his most famous speeches. Including the iconic “I Have a Dream,” providing readers with a deep insight into his profound influence on the civil rights movement. It’s an essential read for those interested in understanding King’s impact on society and his continuing relevance today.
Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.? is part of the popular “Who Was?” series. Offering a detailed and accessible biography of Martin Luther King Jr. for young readers. The book combines engaging narrative with fun illustrations. Making it an ideal choice for children looking to learn more about the history and achievements of this pivotal figure in American history. It’s a great educational tool that makes learning about history both enjoyable and informative.
You will also enjoy our free Martin Luther King word scramble printable
Tips for downloading the free files
Below you will see a large sign-up box where you need to add your name and email address, and press I NEED THIS NOW!
Within minutes you will be sent the free PDF directly to your email address, so you can print it out and start using it immediately.
Sometimes emails get a little wonky, so if you can’t see it, please check your spam folder where I am sure it is hiding.
Download the free printable Martin Luther King Facts
Last Updated on 11 January 2024 by homeschoolof1