We love creating memories and as the kids get older we are always trying to find new ways. This year, as part of our New Year’s Eve activities for kids, we have decided to create time capsule questions for our new tradition.
These family time capsule questions are the most important to us. It is great to look back on what their favorite things were, and what they planned to do in the future.
A perfect time to create your family time capsule is New Year’s Eve to mark the end of one year and the start of a new one.
Download the free questions for your time capsule below, bury it in your yard, and decide on when to open it. We have decided to open it when our son turns 21, but maybe you could do this every New Year’s Eve.
These questions are not just related to New Year so these can be used any time of the year.
This is such a wonderful thing to do with the kids and they are going to love it.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Time capsule questions for kids
Creating a family time capsule is something you will all treasure for years to come. But make sure you agree on a time when it should be opened.
Kids want instant gratification, which is a great reason you should bury your time capsule, so they can’t see it and be tempted! Opening it when the kids turn 18 or 21 is a great time, or when they graduate college.
Supplies needed to create a time capsule
- cardstock (printer paper will also work)
- writing pen or pencil
- time capsule or you can just use an old pickle jar (make sure you properly clean it out first!)
- ziplock bags, laminator, or sheet protector (to stop the page from getting damp)
Print out the questions for a time capsule below, it will print out on 4 full pages, 2 in color and the same 2 in black and white. Make sure to check the printer settings.
These time capsule questions for kids are free to print but are for personal use or classroom use only. Scroll to the bottom of the post for access to the pdf file.
You will also enjoy our New Year’s Eve reflection questions
Questions for time capsule
The time capsule questions are:
Name and date are on both printables and:
- My favorite thing is:
- My favorite food is:
- My best friend is:
- My favorite hobby is:
- My favorite memory from the year is:
- This is what I am going to do in the new year:
- My favorite subject is:
- When I grow up I want to be:
- My favorite sport is:
- My favorite book is:
- I am grateful for:
- This is what I want to do in the next 12 months:
What to put in a time capsule?
So you already have the most important item, the time capsule interview questions (download them below). But what else do you put in a time capsule?
Remember whatever you add to your time capsule has to be small, as you won’t have much space. Check out some of our favorite things to add:
- Interview questions (download below).
- Family photos.
- Handprints of the whole family (this is especially great when the kids are younger.) If you are doing this with teens it probably won’t be quite as cute!
- Newspaper headlines for the day.
- Predictions about the future (this is a great one to add to the back of the time capsule questions.)
- Supermarket receipt so you can see how cheap things were (I know it doesn’t feel like it at the moment, but give it 10 years!)
- Memory stick of your favorite essay, or school reports.
- A drawing you have done this year.
- Christmas wish list.
- Movie stub.
- Packaging from your favorite snack.
- All about me worksheet.
- Copies of certificates or awards (I wouldn’t put the originals in.)
- Letter from Mom or Dad.
- Letter to their future self.
Completing a time capsule for kids is such a wonderful way to capture any memories of the time, and then enjoy opening it up in years to come.
New Year’s Eve activities for kids
Organizing New Year’s Eve with kids is a great way to involve them in the celebrations. Here are some additional free printables you can enjoy this December/January:
Provide kids with a New Year’s resolution printable where they can write down their resolutions or goals for the coming year.
Have a New Year’s Eve scavenger hunt to keep the kids engaged and excited.
New Year’s scattergories is a great word game the whole family will enjoy.
Tips for downloading the free files
Below you will see a large sign-up box where you need to add your name and email address, and press I NEED THIS NOW!
Within minutes you will be sent the free PDF directly to your email address, so you can print it out and start using it immediately.
Sometimes emails get a little wonky, so if you can’t see it, please check your spam folder where I am sure it is hiding.
Download the free time capsule for kids printable
Last Updated on 25 November 2023 by homeschoolof1