We all know these dreaded days when mom is sick and you have to take care of the kids! It’s even harder if you homeschool, you are not just a mom who can send the kids off to school. You are with them 24/7!
But don’t worry I have you covered. In fact, the last time I was ill my son had the best day ever!
Us homeschool moms give ourselves such a hard time. But you know what, you don’t have to homeschool every day!
There are so many things you can do if mom is sick, and the kids will love it.
We have to put ourselves first, just sometimes!
We need to get better to be able to be a mom and teach every day! So when you are feeling sick I highly recommend you do these things.
The kids will not suffer, it will not stop them from going to college or getting a job! (Yes, we all feel like this at some points of our homeschool journey!)
Of course, not all of these ideas will be useful depending on the age of your children. But I will go through all of the things we have done when I have been poorly over the years.
These are ideas for every mom whether you homeschool or not, but most of these are educational as we do!
Mom Is Sick – What To Do With the Kids?
Easy, just chill and focus on getting better. These ideas will help:
- Reading – no matter what age, get the kids reading, if they don’t have any books, get them listening to an audio book. If your child is too young to read, no problem, put them in front of as many picture books as you can find. With older kids get them to write a book report after they have finished. It gets them to do writing too!
- Movie – yes this is ok, I mean they even watch movies at public school sometimes! If they are older let them watch a film of a book they have read. Then ask them to write a book vs movie comparison report. If they are yonger, just enjoy snuggle time.
- Watch educational documentaries – we love Curiosity Stream, in fact we generally watch this in our lunch break, or if we are a having a slow day! Get it here today (it is so cheap you will wonder why you’ve not got it before!)
- Coloring – no matter the age (well maybe if they are very young, this might not be a great one, as they will probably draw on your walls!) get them to draw a picture. There are loads of free resources in this art curriculum list from my sons favorite Youtube channels. Or if you prefer print outs, check out these free Halloween coloring pages.
- Online Class – if they do better with a tutor why not get them set up with an Outschool class? There are always classes available last minute, in pretty much every subject you can think of! Check them out here.
- Educational Apps / Games – our favorite educational apps are Night Zookeeper, Brainika, and prodigy math.
- Coding – get the kids coding, it will feel like they are playing, but learning at the same time. Win-win, check out our favorite homeschool programming options.
- Youtube – there are so many educational videos for kids that they will love, we particularly enjoy Crash course.
- Learn a Language – there are so many fun ways for the kids to learn a foreign language, check out these options that won’t need you to help with.
- Play games if you are up to it, these are our top educational board games that we love to play.
- Typing Games what about getting them to touch type? Kidztype is completely free and they will feel like they are playing a game!
Last Updated on 6 October 2021 by homeschoolof1