St David’s Day for those that don’t know commemorates the Patron Saint of Wales, David. It is celebrated on March 1st. Check out our favourite St David’s Day activities that we will be doing this year.
We always enjoy fun holiday activities for kids and these St David’s Day activities are just that.
Perfect for kids aged 3-12, have fun learning about Welsh traditions with these crafts, worksheets, and coloring pages.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
St David’s Day facts for kids
For those of you who don’t know who St David is I wanted to put together a few key facts.
- Legend has it that St David (or ‘Dewi Sant’ in Welsh) was born in Wales during a fierce storm. It is unknown when he was born but it is believed that he died on the 1st March 589 A.D. He is also the only Patron Saint of the UK who was born in the country he is patron of.
- His last words “Be joyful, keep the faith, and do the little things that you have heard and seen me do.” This is a famous saying now in Wales.
- It is believed that David performed many miracles, including, raising a child from the dead, surviving eating poison, and more famously restoring the sight of his teacher, Paulinus.
- The leek is an important national symbol of Wales, and later it became the daffodil. The leek is displayed on the Welsh regiment’s uniforms to this day.
- As David was a monk, he was a vegetarian and was claimed to have only drunk water. He became known as “David the waterman”.
If you are wanting to celebrate the other patron saints of the United Kingdom:
Books about Wales for kids
I always try and add books to any subject we study, however, I couldn’t find any book lists for kids on the Patron Saint of Wales. So these are the best books about Wales that children will love:
- Dragon Gold
- The Welsh Fairy Book
- Celtic tales
- A Child’s Christmas in Wales
- Tales from the Celtic countries
Welsh Fairy Tales, Myths and Legends (Scholastic Classics)All About Wales (Discovering The United Kingdom)10 Stories from Welsh History (That Everyone Should Know)My First 1000 Words in WelshThe Fabulous Lost and Found and the little Welsh mouse: a heartwarming and fun bilingual Welsh English children’s book to learn Welsh for kids … learning method’) (Laugh as you learn WELSH)Welsh Folk Tales
St David’s Day Crafts and Worksheets
Have fun with the kids on St David’s Day with our free Welsh colouring pages. Learn about Welsh traditions and important landmarks.
Last Updated on 7 September 2023 by homeschoolof1