If you are learning all about butterflies you are going to love our free butterfly coloring pages.
These free printable butterfly worksheets are great to add to a science unit study or just for a fun activity.
We love creating free kids coloring pages, and we either use them as a supplement for a lesson we are studying or to calm the mood! Coloring is a great way for them to refocus and relax, and great for improving fine motor skills.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Learn all about 10 different butterflies
These free butterfly coloring sheets are free to print but are for personal or classroom use only. Scroll to the bottom of the page to get the pdf file.
You are going to learn all about the world’s top 10 popular butterflies:
- Tiger swallowtail butterfly
- Red admiral
- Painted lady
- Common blue
- Cabbage white
- Black swallowtail
- Blue morpho
Each butterfly worksheet has information about:
- where you can find the butterflies,
- how big they can grow
- Life span
- Food butterflies eat
- Fun facts about each species of butterfly.
These worksheets are aimed at students in 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade. But can of course be used for kids of all ages.
Books about identifying butterflies
You will also love these butterfly books for kids:
Butterflies and moths is a fun and easy-to-use book that can help you teach your students about different types of butterflies and moths. With colorful pictures and simple descriptions, it’s perfect for engaging young learners. You’ll learn about where they live, what they eat, and even fun facts!
Explore my world butterflies is a fun and colorful book that introduces elementary school students to the world of butterflies through beautiful pictures, fun facts, and activities. It’s a great resource for teachers who want to engage young learners in the wonders of nature.
Caterpillar to butterfly is a great book with clear illustrations and easy-to-understand language. This book explains the different stages of metamorphosis in a fun and engaging way.
Interesting facts about butterflies
Here are 8 interesting facts about butterflies that kids will enjoy:
- Butterflies can see more colors than humans can. They have special eyes that can detect ultraviolet light, which makes colors look brighter to them.
- Butterflies use their feet to taste things. They have taste sensors on their feet that help them find the right plants to lay their eggs on.
- Butterflies taste with their proboscis. This is a long, tube-like tongue that they use to suck nectar from flowers.
- Butterflies are cold-blooded, which means their body temperature is the same as their surroundings. This is why you often see them sunning themselves on rocks or flowers to warm up.
- Butterflies are pollinators, which means they help plants reproduce by carrying pollen from one flower to another.
- Butterflies can fly at speeds of up to 30 miles per hour.
- The wings of a butterfly are covered in tiny scales that give them their vibrant colors and patterns.
- Some butterflies migrate, which means they travel long distances to find food or a place to breed. The monarch butterfly is one of the most famous migrators, traveling thousands of miles from North America to Mexico each year.
Other butterfly activities you can use
Have fun with these preschool butterfly activities that the kids are going to love:
Younger children will love this free butterfly matching game.
Learn all about the butterfly with these free life cycle of a butterfly worksheets. Including a butterfly scavenger hunt, parts of a butterfly worksheet, butterfly life cycle coloring, butterfly crafts, and more.
If you are working with younger students you will love our free preschool butterfly worksheets.
Download the butterfly free printables
Free life cycle printables
You can also add these free life cycle worksheets:
- butterfly life cycle coloring page
- Life cycle of a plant worksheet
- Ant life cycle worksheets
- Life cycle of a bee worksheets
Last Updated on 21 August 2023 by homeschoolof1