Do you have a budding astronaut? If so you are going to love our free astronaut coloring pages.
These 5 free kid’s coloring pages also tell a heartwarming story about 4 astronauts who travel into space.
As you read the storybook the kids can color in all of the outer space pictures.
This is a fun way to spend the afternoon or to break up a study on space. I have also included 10 fun facts about astronauts, our favorite astronaut books, and other free space printables you can use.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Astronauts Coloring Story Book
These astronauts coloring pages are free to print but are for personal or classroom use only. Scroll to the bottom of the page to get the pdf file.
The children will color in the following space pictures as they read the fun space story:
- Astronaut boys and astronaut girls
- Space rocket
- Astronaut exploring in a space suit
- Astronaut feeling zero gravity
These 5 coloring sheets tell a space story about 4 astronauts who explore space.
They meet meteorites as they travel through space and need to repair their rocket ship.
When they land on the planet they start exploring and proudly put the American flag on the moon.
When they return to Earth they are praised by all and hailed as heroes.
10 fun facts about astronauts
These are some fun facts about astronauts the kids are going to love:
- The first person to walk on the moon was astronaut Neil Armstrong in 1969.
- Astronauts live and work in the International Space Station (ISS), which orbits around Earth at a height of 400 kilometers.
- Astronauts eat special space food like freeze-dried fruits, vegetables, and meat in tubes or pouches. Why not get the kids to try some astronaut food and see what they think?
- Astronauts have to sleep in special sleeping bags that are strapped to the walls of the ISS to keep them from floating around in their sleep.
- Astronauts use special toilets that have to suck waste away from their bodies because there is no gravity in space.
- Astronauts can grow plants in space! They have grown lettuce, radishes, and even flowers in the ISS.
- Astronauts have to be able to speak several languages because they work with people from all over the world.
- Astronauts can’t cry in space because their tears don’t fall down their faces due to the lack of gravity. Instead, tears stay on their faces until they wipe them away.
- Astronauts can see about 16 sunrises and sunsets every day because the ISS orbits the Earth every 90 minutes.
- Astronauts can’t smell anything in space because there is no air to carry smells. They can still taste food, but it doesn’t taste the same as it does on Earth.
Astronaut Books for Kids
We love adding new books to all of our unit studies and these are our favorite books about astronauts for kids:
Space Exploration for Kids is a fun and informative book that introduces young readers to the world of space exploration. Through engaging illustrations and easy-to-understand text, it explores the history of space travel. The science behind rockets and spacesuits, and what it’s like to live and work in space.
Space for Smart Kids is an educational and entertaining book that introduces young readers to the wonders of space. With colorful illustrations and fun facts, it covers everything from the solar system and planets to rockets and the challenges of space exploration.
Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story is an adorable and inspiring children’s book about a little mouse who dreams of going to space. When a team of astronauts needs a small crew member, the brave mouse steps up and proves that even the tiniest among us can achieve great things.
There’s No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System is a delightful and informative book that takes young readers on a tour of our cosmic neighborhood. From the sun and the moon to the planets and beyond, this book is the perfect introduction to the wonders of space!
Other free space activities
The kids will also enjoy some of these free space activities:
- Space worksheets for preschool
- Phases of the moon worksheets
- Phases of the moon word search
- Planet matching game printable
- Planet coloring pages
Tips for downloading the free files
Below you will see a large sign-up box where you need to add your name and email address, and press I NEED THIS NOW!
Within minutes you will be sent the free PDF directly to your email address, so you can print it out and start using it immediately.
Sometimes emails get a little wonky, so if you can’t see it, please check your spam folder where I am sure it is hiding.
Download the free outer space printable coloring pages
Last Updated on 21 October 2023 by homeschoolof1