Even if like us you have been homeschooling for years. Getting the best homeschool supplies prior to the year starting is essential.
You don’t want the first day of homeschool to begin and not be prepared. It’ll just throw you off, and you don’t want that. I mean the kids will probably love not being able to work on their math worksheet as you forgot to order the paper for the printer! But it wouldn’t be the best start.
If you are a seasoned homeschool mom you will probably have most things already, but if you are new to homeschooling, please don’t be overwhelmed.
A number of these homeschool supplies you will probably already have in your home, and some are perfect Christmas gift ideas for either you or the kids. (My son ALWAYS has at least 25% of his Christmas gifts as educational.)
Everything included is exactly what we have in our homeschool room, or should I say closet as that is where I keep the homeschool supplies.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Best Home Education Supplies
I have broken this list further into basic homeschool supplies that you will use most days, and then larger objects. The larger homeschool supplies are nice to have as opposed to necessary.
If you have a brick building student they will love our favorite Lego school supplies.
Basic Homeschool Supplies:
You will be surprised how many of these basic homeschool supplies you will already have in your home. Also if like us and you have been homeschooling for years, chances are you have already got most of these items. The only things we buy at least once a year are pens and paper.
Now of course the kids need either a laptop or a PC to do their work on. I have used the Lenovo laptops now for the last 8 years I think and they are the best ones I have used. I like that they are like a normal laptop but they have a touch screen.
- Paper: lined, copy printer, and graph paper are all needed.
- Composition Notebooks
- Cardstock – we use this for all of our free homeschool printables as it just makes them more sturdy.
- Printer (and ink) I don’t want to recommend a printer as although I am happy with the Epson I am not sure with the amount we spend on ink it is the best option.
- Post-it Notes
- Paper cutter
- 3 ring binders
- Pencils – coloring and writing
- Highlighter Pens
- Erasable Pens these Frixion pens are hands down the best we have ever used.
- Pens – lots of different colors for reworking and marking
- Glue –
- Paint & Brushes
- Hole Punch
- Pencil Sharpener ( I highly recommend getting an electric one!!!)
- Stylus for a laptop or IPad
- Laminator with pouches
- White Board Pens and Eraser
- Scientific Calculator
- Food dye ( we use this for lots of experiments)
- Sticks for crafts
- Dictionary (we really like this dictionary bookmark for reading)
- Cork Tiles (we have added these to the wall of our homeschool room to display topic work)
- Geometry set
If like me you have a lot of arts and crafts you are going to love these craft room organization ideas.
Larger Homeschool Supplies:
These larger items are not essential and you can get them along your homeschool journey. Or they would make lovely birthday / Christmas gifts for your children.
- Science Equipment – check out the best science kits for homeschool.
- Best educational board games
- Osmo Coding Set – this is excellent for teaching kids to code and program check out our Osmo review.
What are your favorite supplies for homeschooling? Let me know in the comments below.
More homeschool ideas:
- A homeschool scavenger hunt, is a great way to hide all of their new homeschool supplies at the beginning of the school year!
- First day of homeschool ideas
- Best back to school gifts for homeschoolers are perfect for a treat.
- Best free homeschool curriculum resources for all ages
- Best books about homeschooling
- Best homeschool planners for both mom and kids
- How we use Trello for homeschool
Last Updated on 25 November 2023 by homeschoolof1