I have recently come across a new, and fun, way to learn Spanish in your homeschool. Watching TV. I mean how cool is that, when I told Freddie he honestly thought there was a catch. Keep reading for my honest Lingopie review.
Ok, well there was a small catch!
He had to watch TV in Spanish!
Lingopie was not designed as a homeschool Spanish program, this was clearly made with adults in mind. However, I think this is such a fun and cheap way to get the kids interested in learning a new language.
Lingopie is not just for Spanish, you can also watch TV in Portuguese, French, German, Italian, and Russian.
We love Duo Lingo which we use for free, but this alone is not enough to be confident in a language. So this is where we believe Lingopie stands out. You are watching real people talking Spanish, as you follow along.
If you are looking for even more ideas for homeschool foreign language check out all of our favorites.
**Disclosure: I was compensated for my time to write this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only share resources that I would use with my own family and those that I believe other homeschool families will enjoy. There may be affiliate links in this post.**
What Shows Are on Lingopie for Kids?
There are currently over 100 kid’s shows in Spanish you can enjoy on Lingopie. But they are adding more and more every time we go on. These are our favorite 10 they have today:
- Drawing World Wonders
- Green Light
- Craft Lab
- Jamie’s Got Tentacles
- Agro Kids
- Julian’s County
- Treasure Island
- Nano Adventures
- Tour Around the Universe
How to Use Lingopie for Homeschool
What I love about Lingopie is that when you watch the cartoon you not only get the English translation (that you can click on to save the word). It also shows you the Spanish script so you can follow along that way too!
If you find the script too distracting though you can turn it off and just have the cartoon in full screen. We tend to watch the cartoon once with the script on, and then again with it off.
As you can see above, there are words highlighted in English with the Spanish translation above. If you click on the plus button it will save the word for review later.
Check out Lingopie for yourself today with a free trial.
When you have finished watching the cartoon you can then go to review and learn. The words you clicked on will show here along with the show you were watching. So it is easier to navigate which words you needed help with.
At first, you will see the words in Spanish and then you click the card for English as can be seen below.
Pros of Lingopie
- You can listen to different dialects (I love this, so the shows are from Spain, Argentina, Uruguay, Columbia, and Mexico).
- You can read the script in Spanish while watching, this is great for us, as we learn the words much quicker than understanding someone speaking it.
- There is an option to revisit words that you find harder.
- It is a fun way to learn Spanish.
- It is a more immersive way to learn a language.
- You can also learn Portuguese (there is more children’s content than Spanish), French, German (which has a teen section, unfortunately learning Spanish doesn’t have one yet.), Italian and Russian!
What I really love though is they have a free trial, so you can try it out for yourself first.
Cons of Lingopie
- There are currently only 6 kids cartoons in Spanish – UPDATE, they now have so much more to offer. They have developed Lingopie Kids and there are 100s of kids shows that they are going to love.
- It is hard to tell which other shows are appropriate. UPDATE – this has now been addressed and Lingopie Kids is awesome!
- You can’t change the audience’s view, so everyone can see “adult” themes. UPDATE – this has also been addressed with the start of Lingopie Kids!
So as you can see my original cons of Lingopie have all since been addressed with the introduction of Lingopie Kids. I promise you and the kids are going to love it.
But try it for free yourself.
Where can I watch Lingopie?
As we homeschool we tend to do “school” work on either a desktop or a laptop. Which is what we have used for this Lingopie review. However, I have checked and they have the Lingopie app both on IOS and Android. Below is what it looks like on the iPhone.
I downloaded the Lingopie App on the iPad just to see how it worked, and actually, I prefer the layout here to the PC. Below you can see a screenshot when you log in. You can easily see what level you are, and the words you have clicked and learned.
You can see it on the PC which I will show further down, but I like the fact it is in your face!
Below is a screenshot of the home screen on the PC. As you can see you can still see the progress it is just much smaller!
How Much Does Lingopie Cost?
This is the BEST BIT you can have a FREE 7 DAY trial to see if you like it. After that, you can either pay monthly or much cheaper pay for the year.
Monthly $12 per month
Annual $5.99 per month, $71.88 which is a 50% saving on the monthly cost.
With the FREE trial though go and check it out, you have nothing to lose.
Lingopie is rated 4.7/5 on Trustpilot so you don’t need to just take my word on it! It really is a fun way for kids to learn Spanish. You can check it out yourself for FREE for 7 days.
If like us you enjoy watching videos to learn we think you will enjoy the following posts:
- Curiosity Stream and why we love it in our homeschool.
- 35 of the best educational videos for kids
- If you are looking for even more homeschool curriculum reviews check out all of the others we have reviewed over the years.
- Homeschool Japanese curriculum
Last Updated on 23 January 2023 by homeschoolof1