After studying the life of Martin Luther King Jr in January we wanted to dive deeper into Black History month activities for February.
Black History Month was first celebrated across America in 1976 and is also called National African American History Month.
I have put together over 35 resources that we will be using in our homeschool in the month of February to educate ourselves better. If you are in the UK Black history month is celebrated in October though.
I think you will also enjoy our free Juneteenth coloring pages, there are 6 color by number pages to print out and learn about this historical day.
All of these black history month activities can be used either in school or in your homeschool.
There are over 35 black history month school ideas for you to enjoy with kids of all ages.
Black History Month Videos to Watch
Here are interviews and historical footage, documenting the lives of African Americans. I have not included Martin Luther King activities for kids as I have a dedicated page for that. Most of these are on Youtube and are great to watch, certainly for any visual learners.
- Ted Talks to celebrate Black History Month
- America: The Story of Us
- Frederick Douglass Video
- Wilt Chamberlain Video
- Quincy Jones video
- Rosa Parks video
- Harriet Tubman biography video
- Harlem Renaissance video for kids
- Madame CJ Walker video
- Civil Rights movement video for kids
- The ABC’s of Black inventors – a Children’s Guide
- The ABC’s of Black History – a Children’s Guide
Black History Month Worksheets
These worksheets, printables, and online resources are perfect for grades 4-8.
- Free black history word search printable
- Free Black History Month word scramble
- Black History Month | Biographical Project this notebooking project is great for kids in grades 4-8.
- Martin Luther King Jr for kid’s activities
- Martin Luther King Jr word search
- Flocabulary Civil Rights Movement lesson plan, songs, and videos
- Black History Free Quiz Printable
- African American History for teachers resources with hundreds of free resources for elementary to middle school aged children.
- National Education Association
- Quizlet has a number of resources on Black History Month
- Celebrate African American heritage
- Timeline and Resources
- Literature Based Unit studies on African American History
- Black History Month worksheets at Education.com
- Black History Month Wordsearch
- Famous Black Scientist’s Posters
- Black History Word Search Game
- Black History Month Famous First Printables
- George Washington Carver coloring and activity book
- Coloring Book of Prominent African Americans
Learn about Black Inventors
- 10 free black inventors coloring pages
- Black Scientists & Inventors with timelines of all the most prominent scientists and inventors of all time.
- K12 Readers have put together lots of free resources for kids in elementary grades.’
- African American Inventors from Education.com
Books for Black History Month
We always love to get new books whenever we study a subject in-depth, and these were the best kid’s Black history books we have found. If you don’t want to buy them I definitely recommend getting them from the library.
- Black Heroes: A Black History Book for Kids: 51 Inspiring People from Ancient Africa to Modern-Day U.S.A.
- Timelines from Black History: Leaders, Legends, Legacies
- The ABCs of Black History
- Black Inventors: 15 Inventions that Changed the World
Please let me know what Black history month activities you have got planned.
Last Updated on 22 November 2022 by homeschoolof1