OK, we have given up on winging it for science! We are three weeks into our 6th grade homeschool curriculum, and my backup plan to use Real Science Odyssey has already begun!
We honestly planned to make up our own homeschool science curriculum for 6th grade, however, this just did not work for us!
Freddie clearly works best with a more formal curriculum, so we found the best secular science homeschool curriculum. Real Science Odyssey. Check out what are other 6th grade homeschool curriculum looks like.
So what is REAL Science Odyssey? Read, Explore, Absorb, Learn! (I only actually realized that it was an acronym while I was writing this post!). This is the BEST secular science homeschool curriculum out there. Keep reading to find out why we love it so much.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase (after clicking one of my affiliate links) I’ll earn some coffee money, which I promise to drink while supporting your journey. You do not pay a higher price. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Real Science Odyssey Biology 2
This is a fantastic secular homeschool biology curriculum for both middle and high school homeschoolers.
There are two levels either level 1 which is elementary grades, or level 2 which is middle school to high school.
We opted for Biology 2 which consists of three books (which you purchase separately, for some reason they don’t have a combined purchase?):
We could however have chosen Astronomy 2, but I think we will take that when we have finished Biology.
What I LOVE about Pandia Press is that you try before you buy!! So for any curriculum, you can literally check out a few sample pages to see if you think it will be a good fit. They also offer this for their secular history curriculum too.
Biology 2 is designed to be a year long curriculum with 32 chapters. If I am honest though as we are doing this in 6th grade I think it might take us 18 months. But that is absolutely fine, we are in no hurry!
The course is divided into seven units:
- Anatomy & Physiology
At the end of each unit, there are end of unit exams (they are at the back of the student workbook, so they are completely optional.)
Science Equipment Needed for Biology 2
We didn’t need to buy much for this curriculum, as we already had a lot of it, but I will share with you what they recommend:
** You do not need the microscope in middle school (like we are) and you can skip these lessons. But you will NEED it if you are studying High School. We decided to buy it though.**
- Microscope – I actually wish they recommended one, as it took me an age researching them. But this is the one we purchased from Amazon, and we really like it. AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X All-Metal Optical Glass Lenses Cordless LED Student Biological Compound Microscope
- Microscope Slides as the above microscope doesn’t come with any slides, we had to purchase these aswell.
- Tape Measure I am sure you already have one somewhere, but if not I have linked to the cheapest one I could find on Amazon!
- Graph Paper – we got ours in Walmart when we popped in, but if you want to order it on Amazon for a lifetimes supply check out the link.
- Clipboard – Freddie already had this, as it was one of his first day of homeschool gifts.
- X-Acto Knife with Safety Cap – we had to buy this as we didn’t have anything suitable.
- Cutting mat – I think we are just going to use left over Amazon boxes (I have a lot!) but if I change my mind we will use this one.
There are two full pages of material lists, however, I think everything else included you will have at home already. For example, oven, bowl, water, glass!!! They really have listed everything you are going to need!
Real Science Odyssey Review
There are lots of things I LOVE about Pandia Press Real Science Odyssey. The teacher guide is really detailed, which is great for me, I hated science in school!!
The student text book is really varied too, so one page might be microscope work, the next a lab report, the next a multiple choice quiz, etc. So they never get bogged down doing the same work all the time. There are lots of experiments to do as well, so it is really engaging. I honestly LOVE it.
Other benefits of Pandia Press
- You can try before you buy
- It’s a secular science curriculum
- You can either buy in print copy (like we did) or you can buy the e-book
- You can use the curriculum for both middle school and high school students, perfect if you have multiple children.
Last Updated on 14 January 2022 by homeschoolof1