Best Christmas Treasure Hunt For Kids (Free Printable)
These printable Christmas treasure hunt clues are the perfect way to start the festivities this year.
Simply print out the Christmas scavenger hunt clues, and hide them throughout your house.
Then let your loved ones follow the clues to a gift or surprise at the end! Scavenger hunts should not just be for the Easter Bunny, why not enjoy this at Christmas time too.
I mean who wouldn’t love a Christmas present scavenger hunt from Santa or the Elf on the Shelf?
For older kids why not try our free Christmas photo scavenger hunt?
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Christmas Holiday Scavenger Hunt
These free Christmas scavenger hunt riddles are free to print but are for personal use only. Scroll to the bottom of the page to get the pdf file.
These 12 scavenger hunt clues are all inspired by the most popular Christmas songs. So as you or your kids are reading them out I hope you have a little sing-song too!!
If you prefer to buy a scavenger hunt though these two are the best Christmas ones we have seen:
Christmas Scavenger Hunt Game (Amazon Exclusive)
Scavenger Hunt Game – Includes 220 Cards with Holiday-Themed Objects Found both Inside and Outside the Home
Christmas Scavenger Hunt Clues
All 12 of these riddles are indoor, and they will work in any home.
- Santa Claus is coming tonight. Where will you leave him a tasty bite? (leave your clue where you will leave Santa’s treat)
- All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth….. If you already have them make sure you look after them… (where the children brush their teeth)
- I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, with every Christmas card I write (where the children do their school work, or where they have seen you write cards)
- Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful. The next clue is where you keep warm (either by a fire if you have one, or a heater)
- Jingle Bells, Batman smells. Oh no, where should he put his dirty clothes? (in a hamper, or washing machine)
- Silent Night, Holy Night. Where do you spend your silent nights? (Child’s bed)
- Baby, it’s cold outside – your next clue is where you left your coat (in their coat pocket)
- Step into Christmas, the next clue is in your shoes (in their shoes)
- Deck the halls with boughs of holly, the next clue is hiding there (either under the rug in the hall, or anywhere near there)
- Rocking around the Christmas tree…. (hiding in the Christmas tree)
- Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer had a very shiny nose. Have you got one? Go and have a look in a mirror (any bathroom mirror)
- We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, the next clue is by the phone (next to mommy’s cell phone, or home phone if you still have one!)
How to set up the Christmas scavenger hunt?
Setting up the gift scavenger hunt is easy. Just follow the instructions below for a quick setup!
- Print out the scavenger hunt clues (get the free printables below), I recommend printing on cardstock (this is the card stock we use) to make the cards a bit more durable, and then you can keep them for years to come. Although they work just as well on paper.
- Cut out the clues. I purposely didn’t number them so you can do what is best for your house.
- Get a sheet of paper and answer the clues from the 12 scavenger hunt clues. Then organize it so that the clues are all in different rooms. Write the number on the back of each clue so you don’t get confused when you are hiding the clues.
- Hide all of the clues, and remember to put a gift or a treat after the last clue.
How the Kids Christmas Treasure Hunt Works
Now that the scavenger hunt clues have been set up, completing the scavenger hunt is even easier!
Simply give the first treasure hunt clue card to the children and let them follow the clues to the end.
If you are doing this with multiple children, there are two fun ways you can do it:
- Split them into teams, and the first team goes but makes sure once the clues have been read they put them back where they found them. (It is always best to check afterward though) And you time to see which team completed it first.
- All the kids go around together and they take it in turns to work out where the next clue is.
Download the free Christmas scavenger hunt printable
If you are treasure hunt mad, why not download some of these other Christmas treasure hunt clues? These are also to print out, so no need to wait on delivery.
Make sure you choose the correct paper size and click on the shrink to fit button. All of our free printables work better when printed on cardstock (this is the one we use and love.)
Other scavenger hunt ideas:
These are some of the other free scavenger hunt printables we have created:
- Halloween Treasure hunt
- Thanksgiving scavenger hunt
- New Year’s Eve scavenger hunt
- Star Wars scavenger hunt
- Neighborhood scavenger hunt
If you have older children what about these escape room puzzle ideas!
Last Updated on 14 April 2023 by homeschoolof1