We absolutely love treasure hunts in this house, so after the popularity of our Christmas treasure hunt, I thought I would create a Halloween treasure hunt for this year. We have also created a treasure hunt for the Elf on the Shelf!
Easter should certainly not be the only holiday that gets to have treasure hunts!!
I have purposely not numbered these Halloween treasure hunt clues, as I don’t know the layout of your house! I have purchased some before with clue 1, clue 2, etc and the kids were running around the house like madmen!
Now, not to say that is not an excellent way to make the treasure hunt go on for hours. But for younger children, this might not be what you are looking for!
If you want to spice things up a bit for older kids why not create a Halloween escape room with these awesome free escape room puzzle ideas! A lot of these are already Halloween-based as this is what we did last year with our 10 year old and his friend.
These FREE Halloween scavenger hunt for kids printables are super easy to have fun with.
**There may be affiliate links in this post. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.**
Halloween Treasure Hunt Clues
These 12 rhyming clues are perfect for younger or even older children. Especially if you don’t hide them in the obvious spots!
- Close your eyes and wrap up tight, the next clue is hiding by a bedside light (either your bedroom lamp or theirs if they have one)
- Ghosts and ghouls are screaming, the next clue is where you will be dreaming (under their pillow)
- On Halloween you get to stay up late, the next clue is where you will find a plate (where you keep the plates)
- Witches have a crooked nose, the next clue is where she would keep her clothes (either in the children’s closet or mommies)
- Witches flying on a broom, the next clue is in mommy’s room (anywhere the children would think of as your room, either bedroom or kitchen!)
- Pumpkin carving is so fun, the next clue is hiding in what you wear to run (either sneakers or sports gear)
- I just love a Halloween wreath, the next clue is where you go to brush your teeth (near the sink in their bathroom.)
- All the black cats come out to play, the next clue is hiding near something grey (a kettle, a toaster, an oven, or anything your children will think of.)
- Look, can you see the flying bats? The next clue is hiding in your hat (hide it in one of their hats)
- Halloween candy tastes so good, but make sure you don’t bloat, the next clue is hiding in your coat (hide it in a coat pocket)
- The witches flying around the house making a scene, the next clue is hiding where mom cleans (the washing machine, dishwasher, or vacuum make great places)
- It’ll soon be time to go Trick or Treat, the next clue is hiding where you eat (under the kitchen table)
If you are looking for even more Halloween treasure hunt ideas have a look at Etsy, they have hundreds to download immediately!
Halloween Treasure Hunt
There isn’t really much else required to start with these FREE printables, well apart from a printer.
- Grab the free printable below (scroll to the end of this page)
- Print out the clues – just make sure you print to either A4 or letter and click on shrink to fit. I have tried so they should print on both sized paper.
- Paper or Card – the printables work better on cardstock (this is the one we use), however, normal printer paper will work perfectly.
- Scissors – to cut the clues, I have purposely kept the clues big, but of course, you can fold them if they need to fit in somewhere small.
- Get a pen (to remind you where you have put the clues and in what order)
- Most importantly the gift, however, as it is Halloween, you will already have plenty of candy! If you are looking for alternative spooky gifts I will share our favorites below.
If you have older kids they might prefer our Halloween photo scavenger hunt.
Halloween Gifts for Kids
My son has a severe peanut allergy so candy is always hard to find that has been produced in a nut-free facility. So we always prefer to find gifts that are NOT candy! Here are our favorite Halloween gifts for kids
- Batman The Long Halloween Book
- Lego Halloween Ideas Book
- Halloween Rock Painting Kit
- Halloween Mad Libs Junior: World’s Greatest Word Game
- Room on the Broom picturebook is such a classic!
- Halloween Pop Fidget Toy
- Halloween Bracelets. A set of 40 so perfect to hand out to trick or treaters too.
- The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat
- LEGO Halloween
- Halloween Lego BrickHeadz
If you are looking for more Halloween fun why not play:
Do you have an Elf on the Shelf? Why not bring them back early for Halloween, and disguise them as a Halloween elf, check out our Elf on the Shelf Halloween accessories and ideas.
Halloween Treasure Hunt Printable Clues
After you have had your Halloween treasure hunt why not get the kids together and have fun with our favorite Halloween games?
Last Updated on 22 November 2022 by homeschoolof1